Wendell Berry - Poet and Prophet on His Hopes For Humanity

Wendell Berry, 79, is a shy poet, Kentucky farmer, and author of 40 books.  He is also an outspoken advocate and activist for a radical change in our treatment of the earth and ways to promote sustainable agriculture.

“We don’t have a right to ask whether we’re going to succeed or not,” he says.  ”The only question we have a right to ask is what’s the right thing to do? 

What does this earth require of us if we want to continue to live on it?”

In a rare TV interview with Bill Moyers released on October 4, this gentle poet, spoke of recent demonstrations against mountain top strip mining, which poisoned Kentucky rivers, Berry said,  “This is intolerable. There’s no excuse for it…there’s no justification for the permanent destruction of the world.”

When asked about his Christian faith, Berry said, " I still consider myself a person who takes the gospels very seriously. And I read in them and am sometimes shamed by them and sometimes utterly baffled by them. But there is a good bit of the gospel that I do get, I think. I believe I understand it accurately. And I’m sticking to that.  And I’m hanging on for the parts that I don’t understand. And, you know
willing to endure the shame of falling short as a price of admission.  All that places a very heavy and exacting obligation on me as a writer. A  lot of my writing I think has been, when it hasn’t been in defense of  precious things, has been a giving of thanks for precious things. So  that enforces the art." 


Click here for a book review of his title Religion, Heaven's Earthly Life.


On his writing- from here.

“There are, it seems, two muses: the Muse of Inspiration, who gives us inarticulate visions and desires, and the Muse of Realization, who returns again and again to say "It is yet more difficult than you thought." This is the muse of form. It may be then that form serves us best when it works as an obstruction, to baffle us and deflect our intended course. It may be that when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work and when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings.”



"I still consider myself a person who takes the gospels very seriously. And I read in them and am sometimes shamed by them and sometimes utterly baffled by them. But there is a good bit of the gospel that I do get, I think. I believe I understand it accurately. And I’m sticking to that. And I’m hanging on for the parts that I don’t understand. And, you know willing to endure the shame of falling short as a price of admission. All that places a very heavy and exacting obligation on me as a writer. A lot of my writing I think has been, when it hasn’t been in defense of precious things, has been a giving of thanks for precious things. So that enforces the art."


You can read the transcript here:  Wendell Berry on his hopes for humanity

I've also dug out this post from my archives : We Forget The Greater And Still Continuing Miracle.

You can read more on his poetry here from The Poetry Foundation


No comments: