40 Part Motet : Spem in Allium by Thomas Tallis

With Lent just around the corner this is a wonderfully reflective piece of music that I hope gets me ready to prepare for Lent 2010 soon.

Words in Latin and English below



Spem in alium numquam habui praeter in te
Deus Israel
qui irasceris
et propitius eris
et omnia peccata hominum in tribulatione dimittis
Domine Deus
Creator coeli et terrae
respice humilitatem nostram

I have never put my hope in any other but in you,
O God of Israel
who can show both anger
and graciousness,
and who absolves all the sins of suffering man
Lord God,
Creator of Heaven and Earth
be mindful of our lowliness

2 comments:

claire bangasser said...

Absolutely beautiful, Phil!
Thanks to bring beauty :-)

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Thanks Claire. Hope you are OK. I can't believe another year has gone by and that yet another Lent is here.

I hope we can both prepare well.

Look forward to reading your posts. I am busy searching for some inspiration !!
Best wishes
Phil