Sexual Abuse Crisis in Catholic Church Update

A good proportion of people who read my blog are from the USA and Canada and from further afield than the UK.

Some are probably unaware of the current situation and some may want to follow the reporting of it. 
I have written on the Irish situation and the Pope's Pastoral letter published this weekend in previous recent posts and  about revelations in other countries.



I am not naive enough to think that a blog is going to solve the problem. 

But I will do my best to give some links to the major UK and European National Press with commenting in addition to other reputable publications,
e.g. Time Magazine, 22nd March has a lengthy article here.



It asks how damaged is the papacy because of recent news and the way it has been handled.
I won't always agree with everything that I link to and the way I personally feel about the whole sordid issue as a Catholic  is still fermenting!

One thing I do know is that lay catholics have to continue to address some of these issues and can no longer remain silent.
Remember Edmund Burke's dictum :

" The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing".

and from Steve Biko :

"The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed"

That's about it for now . Here are some links from the weekend press and maybe more to come as the week progresses.

The Guardian Newspaper has various commentaries here by Fintan o'Toole
here by various commentators letters,  here from John Hooper and  Riazat Butt, here from journalist Madeleine Bunting and here from Andrew Brown.

The Independent Newspaper : Bruce Anderson comments here and Colm O'Gorman here plus my previous post has a couple of links from today's press in the USA and the one a few days ago also has some links.

If anyone recommends any other links or has pertinent comments please let me know.

No comments: