The Peacemakers

Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be called the Children of God.
I am finding this one a bit of a minefield
(excuse the pun) so this is just a brief set of thoughts. No answers !!

My own belief and experience of a loving and endlessly creative God leads me to trust the beatitudes but as I age I find myself increasingly aware of ambivalence, contradictions and seeming inconsistencies in myself and the world. Paradoxes surround me even if they don't bother me anymore.

I don't believe all wars are wrong but I am appalled at the saga of needless war, photographed—even fetishized—torture, and routine horror that fills our world. 











This article questions the role of military chaplains and highlights my own questions about war. The comments section is good too.
This too is worth a read.



It's all getting a bit cliched now: a bit like in the comedy movie “Miss Congeniality”: when the beauty pageant contestants are asked the question, “What is the one most important thing our society needs?”all of the contestants answer “World Peace” except for the main character (who is an undercover cop). She says, “That would be... harsher punishment for parole violators.” Then she becomes aware of the crowd looking blankly at her and she adds, “oh and…world peace”.
I do sometimes get weary of the endless bidding prayers for peace when throughout my lifetime the scale of world conflict looks progressively worse with each passing year

We all desire peace ...Even dictators and militaristic governments probably want world peace. They would prefer to to sit comfortably in their offices and have no-one oppose them.









This homily explains the the difference between peace lovers and peacefakers and what true peacemaking is.

Albert Camus said: “There are causes worth dying for, but none worth killing for.” 

You may be surprised as I was at the author of this next one :

"Do you know what astonished me most in the world? The inability of force to create anything. In the long run the sword is always beaten by the spirit. Soldiers usually win battles and generals get the credit for them. You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war. If they want peace, nations should avoid the pin-pricks that precede cannon shots."
      -- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)




War is dehumanizing-- and ends up hardening our hearts against--the other. 
If we come face to face with the other, they become human and loss of life becomes ever more grievable. 


The Forgiveness Project works at a local, national and international level to help build a future free of conflict and violence by healing the wounds of the past.

By collecting and sharing people's stories, and delivering outreach programmes, The Forgiveness Project encourages and empowers people to explore the nature of forgiveness and alternatives to revenge.



We are all children of God !!








Cartoons above by David Baldinger.

The video below "Child For A Day " highlights some of the effects on innocent children being used in wars.

No comments: