Singing From The Old Year Into The New

Just a few favourite hymns to carry us from the Old into the New Year, and to end with a couple of  Blessings for us all !! 

Hope you enjoy them. ..... Happy New Year !

Dear Lord and Father of Mankind



Lead Kindly Light

The choir of Wells Cathedral sing the beautiful hymn Lead Kindly Light with words by John Henry Cardinal Newman who was beatified  in Birmingham  by Pope Benedict when he visited the UK this year. Lyrics below video



Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom,
lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
the distant scene; one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou
shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now
lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
pride ruled my will: remember not past years!

So long thy power hath blessed me, sure it still
will lead me on.
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
the night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
which I have loved long since, and lost awhile


The Day Thou Gavest Lord Is Ended


The day Thou gavest, Lord, is ended,
The darkness falls at Thy behest;
To Thee our morning hymns ascended,
Thy praise shall sanctify our rest.

We thank Thee that Thy church, unsleeping,
While earth rolls onward into light,
Through all the world her watch is keeping,
And rests not now by day or night.

As oer each continent and island
The dawn leads on another day,
The voice of prayer is never silent,
Nor dies the strain of praise away.

The sun that bids us rest is waking
Our brethren neath the western sky,
And hour by hour fresh lips are making
Thy wondrous doings heard on high.

So be it, Lord; Thy throne shall never,
Like earths proud empires, pass away:
Thy kingdom stands, and grows forever,
Till all Thy creatures own Thy sway.


The  lyrics to this beautiful Gaelic Blessing John Rutter piece sung by the Libera Choir are :

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
Deep peace of the gentle night to you;
moon and stars pour their beaming light on you.
Deep peace of Christ, the light of the world, to you.

And another John Rutter one : The Lord Bless You And Keep You, sung by the Choirboys 


The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face to shine upon you
To shine upon you and be gracious
And be gracious unto you

The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord lift His countenance upon you,
The Lord lift His countenance upon you
And give you peace, and give you peace;
And give you peace, and give you peace

No comments: