Saturday Third Week Ordinary Time 29th January 2011

Mass Readings for Today are here

From First Reading Hebrews



Faith is the realization of what is hoped for
and evidence of things not seen.

Gospel  Mark 4:35-41

On that day, as evening drew on, Jesus said to his disciples:
“Let us cross to the other side.”
Leaving the crowd, they took Jesus with them in the boat just as he was.
And other boats were with him.


Painting below by Ludolf Backhuysen 

 

 

A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat,
so that it was already filling up.



Painting by James Tissot 

 
Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion.
They woke him and said to him,
“Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?”
He woke up,
rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Quiet! Be still!”


The wind ceased and there was great calm.
Then he asked them, “Why are you terrified?
Do you not yet have faith?”


They were filled with great awe and said to one another,
“Who then is this whom even wind and sea obey?”


During the stormy moments of life when my boat seemed way too small and the sea too big- I have felt the sense that I was sinking, and it seemed like God was asleep.The challenge to let go of my own securities and the risk of placing my life into the hands of God seemed too big a step. What I have come to realise is that God is not asleep at all but the surrender and willingness to let go has to come from me.


I know many people who have risked much in their own life and for the sake of others. I have read countless stories of men and women of faith who went well beyond their own personal limitations to do what they believed God was calling them to do. 
I read about men and women who struggle to overcome their own insecurities, doubts, and limitations.


Every day, I am reminded of the limitations of man  in the face of natural disaster , war and atrocities . Every day I have to decide to live in faith -- to keep trusting and not to live in fear of human limitations. Every day there is a choice to be made whether I have to accept the false  sense of security and brittle arrogance of man or the calm  sense of  faith that Jesus is in the boat with me every day and that sink or swim - that's all that matters.



No comments: