Wednesday 12th January First Week Ordinary Time 2011

The Mass Readngs for today are here

The power of Jesus as a healer  is laid wide open and on display this week. Today Simon's mother in law is cured of a fever, tomorrow a leper, Friday a paralytic man, whilst Saturday is a day off spent eating with tax collectors and sinners. 
That's my man !



But tucked in at the tale end of today's Gospel is evidence of Jesus’ commitment to contemplation, and the discernment which came to Him from such times.

Always ...the centrality of prayer and deep times alone with God are key moments in His life and ministry. 



Sometimes Jesus would walk by the sea , by the shores or Galilee or find a mountain where he would be empowered to fulfil what He had to do.

God loves his creation !








If Jesus could not imagine living His life apart from prayer, then neither must I.

I rob myself of more than I can ever know when I short-change myself of deep times alone with God. 

My life is superficial if I just act on my own decisions and then somehow hope that God will bless my effort.

  


Spending time in prayer allowed Jesus to always focus on the source for His ministry - God. 



Psalm 19 ( from this Saturday's Mass)

Your words, Lord, are Spirit and life.
 
Let the words of my mouth and the thought of my heart
find favour before you,


O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.










Gospel Mark 1: 29-39

On leaving the synagogue
Jesus entered the house of Simon and Andrew with James and John.
Simon’s mother-in-law lay sick with a fever.
They immediately told him about her.


He approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up.

Then the fever left her and she waited on them.
When it was evening, after sunset,
they brought to him all who were ill or possessed by demons.












The whole town was gathered at the door.
He cured many who were sick with various diseases,
and he drove out many demons,
not permitting them to speak because they knew him.

Rising very early before dawn,
he left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed.

Simon and those who were with him pursued him
and on finding him said, “Everyone is looking for you.”

He told them, “Let us go on to the nearby villages
that I may preach there also.
For this purpose have I come.”

So he went into their synagogues, preaching and driving out demons
throughout the whole of Galilee.

No comments: