Thomas Merton on Writing



"If you write for God, you will reach many men and bring them joy.

If you write for men, you may make some money and you may give someone a little joy and you may make noise in the world, for a little while.

If you write only for yourself, you can read what you yourself have written and after ten minutes you will be so disgusted, you will wish that you were dead." Thomas Merton








Image from here 




I think God and Thomas Merton were at work in mysterious and humorous ways today.

Yesterday  as I was worrying over the lack of comments on my blog several people commented on the fact that we should primarily be writing for ourselves. 

At the back of my brain I knew that there was something Merton said about this but I couldn't put a handle on it. 

Today, I stumbled across what he said and have posted it here. Then in my post box came a post from Dating God blog that reminds us it is the seventieth anniversary of Merton's reception as a secular Franciscan of The Third Order.
Amazing serendipity !!  

No comments: