July Poems I


This video has poet Jane Hirshfield reading her wonderful poem  “Tree” preceded by a short statement about how she sees the role of poetry in contemporary society as well as how she came to connect with poetry as a child.

I suppose my love of poetry comes partly from my mother reading poems to me as a child and sadly although she died in 1996 I can still recall her rich Dublin accent in my memory.

(The background music in this video is a little too prominent !)

Hirshfield doesn’t appear to have her own website, but here’s what the Poetry Foundation has for her.




This intriguing little poem is by Rainer Maria Rilke whom I have featured from time to time in  my posts ..

Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
And his children say blessings on him as if he were dead.

And another man, who remains inside his own house,
dies there, inside the dishes and in the glasses,
so that his children have to go out into the world
toward that same church, which he forgot.



How about you ?

Who influenced your love of poetry ?

No comments: