Twenty Fifth Sunday Ordinary Time 2011 Workers In The Vineyard

Scripture readings for Sunday are here.

This Sunday's gospel of the parable of the vineyard workers throws up a challenge to our human mindset and reminds us of the largesse of God's love.

A curious mixture of our human nature and cultural influences lead us into an existential gap or discrepancy between what we profess to believe as Christians and how we often behave

Key phrases from the Scripture readings for Sunday's Mass:

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD.
As high as the heavens are above the earth,
so high are my ways above your ways
and my thoughts above your thoughts.

Psalm 145

The LORD is near to all who call upon him,
to all who call upon him in truth.

Second Reading

Brothers and sisters:
Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.
For to me life is Christ, and death is gain.
If I go on living in the flesh,
that means fruitful labour for me.
And I do not know which I shall choose.
I am caught between the two.
I long to depart this life and be with Christ,
for that is far better.
Yet that I remain in the flesh
is more necessary for your benefit.

Only, conduct yourselves in a way worthy of the gospel of Christ.

Gospel

What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?
Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?
Are you envious because I am generous?'
Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last."

These images say it well but the man dressed in yellow is not too happy about it .

Image below is from Nelly Bube.














  

Jesus said: "I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples." (Jn. 15:5-8) 

 Jesus offers us God's substance as a pure gift of grace.

He also warns us that there is no other way in which we can have God's substance.
We are called to work in God's vineyard. But it is not enough to be a labourer in the vineyard. 

We are also called to be the vine branches nourished by the Christ who is The True Vine.

Everybody receives the same nourishment from the vine of which we are branches.
I guess that means we must wish for all other branches to be nourished as much as the True Vine wishes it.

No comments: