Advent - Incarnation,God As One of Us

Advent, from the Latin word adventus meaning "coming" and the Greek word parousia, commonly used in reference to the Second Coming of Christ.

For Christians, the season of Advent serves as a reminder both of the original waiting that was done by the Hebrews for the birth of their Messiah, as well as the waiting of Christians for Christ's return.

  

Questions about God’s relation to time are perplexing and get into the realm of metaphysics,  the nature of the fundamental structures of the universe as well as the nature of God’s own life. 

 Cone Nebula. The part pictured here is 2.5 light years in length (the equivalent of 23 million return trips to the Moon).







 The Hourglass Nebula, 8,000 light years away, has a "pinched-in-the-middle" look because the winds that shape it are weaker at the centre.



















As a Christian I believe that the 28 days of Advent are a special time where God allows to draw me close into relationship, a time when I remember how God entered human history in human flesh as Jesus Christ, the Son of God, Immanuel, " God with us ."

Obviously, that relationship with God is always available, but God knows me better than myself and understands the laxity of my human nature !

One of the enduring liturgical symbols used for Advent are candles but I really like this video of making an hourglass which allows me to reflect on how powerful and amazing God's sense of time is, compared to my own limited apprehension.

The incarnation of God as Jesus Christ was at a specific time long before I was alive but the expectation predated it in history and it's repercussions are staggering but as yet sadly unfulfilled.

 Nice reflection here on what  it means to be patient waiting for God and here if you  fancy being stretched, for a pretty lengthy but intriguing discussion of God and Time.



Music by Philip Glass ; opening From Glassworks

Yes, God as One of Us !!


No comments: