Last Day of Liturgical Year 2011 and Start of Advent 2011




So it is the end of the liturgical year and the beginning of a new one; meant to give soul-time and space to reflect on the days ahead, days that beckon me to travel the Advent  journey to Bethlehem....


Kairos is a Greek word meaning “time,” in the sense of an opportune time, a decisive time, a moment of truth and Advent is one of those special liminal spaces that invites me to enter into the mystery of God's love for humanity and the Incarnation, that moment when the vast uncontainable Word enters into this world as human flesh.




Every Advent God asks me to listen and pray so that I will waken up from lethargy and stagnation, (!), that I will refresh my faith and the way I live, that I will renew and re-energise the core of what I believe (and don't believe), and pray for my faith to be transformed into something active and alive in every day God gives me.


Thomas Merton said it best when he reminded us that “Advent is the beginning of the end of all in us that is not yet Christ.” That is the hope !!

 Liminal Space, an “in-between” time of promise and waiting, hope and despair, and of journeying through the wilderness.  My own experience of liminal space, which Advent speaks into, is often an uncomfortable one, but it is also deeply creative. 
and I know that pain and suffering are often unexpectedly the greatest spiritual teachers.  

I pray and hope that embracing such a liminal Space can be transformational, as I open myself up to the great “I Am”.  
Prayer and silence, story, poetry and reflection, as well as seeing the world with fresh eyes, will be important on this desert journey, hopefully always allowing me to be open and "stay awake "to a real God of surprises.

I find this a very  moving reflection from 2009/ with different readings, but the sentiments for Advent are the same 
Below is a lovely version of the hymn Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent- with a fusion of Celtic and Arab music.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: