Where God Ain't



Time Of No Rain

Sit and be still
until in the time
of no rain you hear
beneath the dry wind’s
commotion in the trees
the sound of flowing
water among the rocks,
a stream unheard before,
and you are where
breathing is prayer.


 Sabbaths 2002

Teach me work that honours Thy work,
the true economies of goods and words,

to make my arts compatible

with the songs of the local birds.
Teach me patience beyond work
and, beyond patience, the blest

Sabbath of Thy unresting love

which lights all things and gives rest.

                                                                  

 Wendell Berry, 1934-
He was just a little boy, on a week’s first day.
He was wandering home 
and dawdling on the way.

He scuffed his shoes into the grass; he found a caterpillar.



He found a fluffy milkweed pod, and blew out all the “filler.”


A bird’s nest in a tree over-head, so wisely placed on high.
Was just another wonder that caught his eager eye.

A neighbour watched his zig-zag course, and hailed him from the lawn;
Asked him where he’d been that day and what was going on.

 Image above from here

“I’ve been to church,” he said and turned a piece of sod
He picked up a wiggley worm replying, “I’ve learned a lot of God.”

“Hmm, very fine way,” the neighbour said, “for someone to spend his time.”
“If you’ll tell me where God is, I’ll give you a brand new dime.”

Quick as a flash the answer came! Nor were his accents faint.
“I’ll give you a dollar Mister, if you can tell me where God ain’t”


~ Author Unknown 

                                            own photo taken in St Ives November 13th 2011.

No comments: