Desert Island Discs 70th Anniversary Podcast Sir David Attenborough

This is the 70th anniversary of the wonderful BBC Radio 4 programme Desert Island Discs .

First broadcast on 29 January 1942, the programme was conceived and presented by playwright and novelist Roy Plomley, who each week asked a guest to choose eight songs, a book and luxury item for their imaginary stay on the island.


The "castaways" are then invited to discuss their lives and reasons for their choices.

Kirsty Young, who has been presenting the programme since 2006, told the Radio Times she has "probably the best job in the world" and would like to be doing it "until I'm 85".

She said of her castaways: "Although the premise is phoney - sitting in a studio talking to each other - I don't think I'm deluding myself when I say you can establish connections.

"I'm constantly surprised, and delighted, by their frankness and honesty."


Sir David Attenborough was this morning's guest and it was sheer delight listening to this humble man talk about his life. If you get the time to listen you won't be disappointed .







Click here for link to podcast - it's on the right hand side under play recent episodes.



Photo above : Desert Island discs presenter Kirsty Young with Sir David 


He said he does not believe that an understanding of evolution is incompatible with faith in God and explained that, while he is still agnostic, he does not rule out the possibility of the existence of a deity.
"I don't think an understanding and an acceptance of the 4 billion-year-long history of life is any way inconsistent with a belief in a supreme being, and I am not so confident as to say that I am an atheist."


And just in case you haven't seen this, here is Sir David's What A Wonderful World  - you can see my previous post on it here in December 2011.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: