Monday Music


Sometimes the news is so grim and the tragic events in the Middle East and elsewhere have impacted on me and many others these last few days.
I have found it difficult to know how and what to post.

 Image source Gaza strip

 This article How Do I Pray When Words Fail grabbed my attention.

Then by chance I came across a music track I liked ( Number 5, below:  Be My Hiding Place), and subsequently discovered that it was part of a larger set  from a 2003 album called Nazarene Crying Towel by a group called Lost Dogs, so I decided to put the complete set of twelve songs in one post.

The description below appealed to me and I hope you find something of use among the music and /or lyrics.

"There's a charm to Lost Dogs reminiscent of O Brother, Where Art Thou?, not a direct comparison to style, but rather an observation to the broader appeal of the band's sound to those who normally wouldn't appreciate country music.

 It's charming and nostalgic without sounding twangy or cliched, incorporating gospel, blues, country, folk, and pop styles without committing to any of them."


The full review of the album is here.

Further extract from the article review is below...

 "These are some of the Lost Dogs' most straightforward songs to date, inspired by the similar peaks and valleys found in the Psalms. Were it not for their uniquely classic country sound, the album would pass for southern gospel or inspirational adult contemporary. 

"Moses in the Desert" exemplifies this sound, likening our daily struggles to that of the great biblical leader who fled the comfort of his home in Egypt only to be called back by God: "'But dear Lord I just can't do it. I am just a man.'/He said 'I will see you through it, I Am that I Am.'" 

A similar classic country pop sound born from the '60s and '70s is found on "Deeper in the Heart" and "Home Again," which is carried by a simple melody and a chorus of whistles.

Many of the songs combine phrases and ideas from several Psalms. The old-time country of "There You Are," for example, combines the despair of Psalm 13 with the comfort of Psalm 139: "Where to run when you're running?/Where to go when you hide?/No matter where You go, still there You are/We can run but God's love won't be denied."

 "Come Down Here" is a quiet little country ballad that builds on Psalm 51: "There lies inside of me a heart that's dark/Come down here, won't you come down here?/Can't take the fire, but I'll take the spark/If you come down here we can chase that dark."


A similar sound is found in the Psalm 32-inspired "Be My Hiding Place": "Unto Thee I cry my Saviour/Don't be silent long, oh my Lord/Hear the voice of my troubled heart, when I lift my hands to Thee/Be my hiding place in times of trouble/Compass me about with songs of deliverance."

 Either Psalm 27 or 60 could have been the inspiration behind "Mercy Again," which is characterized by Terry's Brian Wilson-styled sighing. Likewise, Mike Roe brings his penchant for raw country blues to the outstanding "Cry Out Loud," which stands out as a grittier and more electric sounding track. 

It's equalled by the drowsy and dreamy "Darkest Night," which blends together images of Christ's crucifixion and our redemption. "The Yearning" is unremarkable musically, but still speaks volumes lyrically...............

No 1. Moses In The Desert




No 2.There You Are



No 3 Deeper In The Heart



No 4 Come Down Here



 No 5   Be My Hiding Place




 No 6. Jesus On the Shore




No 7 Lost Dogs Mercy Again




No 8  Cry Out Loud




And God's answer in the lyrics of this song No 9  "The Yearning"

 

No 10 Crushing Hand 
 

No 11. Home Again


and finally No 12.  Darkest Night

No comments: