Monday Prayer and Song

So what to do to start this new week ?? When I listened to the radio this morning one prominent news item was about the approaching fiscal cliffs of fall so maybe it's a good time to remind myself that I am a child of the Resurrection !!

This is a great prayer from Fr. John Predmore at Ignatian Spirituality: Set The World Ablaze. It is from a book I have not heard of before, but is worth checking out : "The Book Of Uncommon Prayer."


 Deliver me to myself
that I may stop
fretting the hours in vain,
looking for what's lacking
always elsewhere and otherwise.
Let befall me the peace
which drops like wind,
suddenly, between even the slightest
folds of a linnet's wing,
between shadow and sky, the hush
like the intervals of quiet
between questions, between the calls
of crickets, the sorrows
of one season and the next,
swift and sure and sharp
as grace.

Katherine Moody, 1996


and two hymns : First , Wells Cathedral Choir sing Bernadette Farrell's lovely hymn O God You Search Me And You Know Me.





Lyrics

 O God, You search me and You know me. 
All my thoughts lie open to Your gaze. 
When I walk or lie down You are before me:
 Ever the maker and keeper of my days. 

 You know my resting and my rising. 
You discern my purpose from afar, 
And with love everlasting You besiege me: 
In every moment of life or death, You are. 

Before a word is on my tongue, Lord,
 You have known its meaning through and through. 
You are with me beyond my understanding:
 God of my present, my past and future, too. 

Although Your Spirit is upon me, 
Still I search for shelter from Your light. 
There is nowhere on earth I can escape You:
 Even the darkness is radiant in Your sight. 

 For You created me and shaped me, 
Gave me life within my mothers womb. 
For the wonder of who I am, I praise You:
 Safe in Your hands, all creation is made new.




The Choir of Ely Cathedral sing the hymn 'Lord of All Hopefulness' to the tune of the Irish folk melody 'Slane.' The words of 'Be Thou My Vision' are often set to the same tune.



Lord of all hopefulness, Lord of all joy,
whose trust, ever childlike, no cares could destroy,
be there at our waking, and give us, we pray,
your bliss in our hearts, Lord, at the break of the day.

Lord of all eagerness, Lord of all faith,
whose strong hands were skilled at the plane and the lathe,
be there at our labours, and give us, we pray.
your strength in our hearts, Lord, at the noon of the day.

Lord of all kindliness, Lord of all grace,
your hands swift to welcome, your arms to embrace,
be there at our homing, and give us, we pray,
your love in our hearts, Lord, at the eve of the day.

Lord of all gentleness, Lord of all calm,
whose voice is contentment, whose presence is balm,
be there at our sleeping, and give us, we pray.
your peace in our hearts, Lord, at the end of the day.

No comments: