Nativity Donkeys And Cattle Are A Myth, Says Pope

Wot ???



No cattle or donkeys at birth of Jesus ???
Sigh.....


No angels on high sweetly singing o'er the plains ??
  No mountains in reply
Echoing their joyous strains???
Gloria in excelsis Deo Gloria in excelsis Deo ?? 


Sigh....


Sensationalist headlines as per usual
Nativity panic as Pope rubbishes donkey myth
Irish Independent
Killjoy Pope crushes Christmas nativity traditions: New Jesus book reveals there were no donkeys beside crib, no lowing oxen and definitely no carols
Daily Mail
;
Another article from the Daily Telegraph 

 The Reality......

In Pope Benedict's new book on the childhood of Jesus he has some mundane statements about the biblical accounts of the nativity. In a lot of examples he is merely saying that there is no proof and in some he is debunking long held beliefs as inaccurate or stating the ambiguity of certain traditions, not mentioned directly in the Bible.

But then there are a lot of myths and blunders in present day religion that are obvious to anybody with a Bible that have been believed for quite a while with more serious ramifications than the Nativity scenes and settings the Pope has homed in on. Sigh....

I wonder what Pope Benedict thinks about one of my favourite poems about donkeys which also features flying fishes and walking forests. The latter are not mentioned in the Bible but they sure as heck contribute to making a great poem.

The Donkey

 
When fishes flew and forests walked   
   And figs grew upon thorn,   
Some moment when the moon was blood   
   Then surely I was born.


With monstrous head and sickening cry
   And ears like errant wings,   
The devil’s walking parody   
   On all four-footed things.


The tattered outlaw of the earth,
   Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,   
   I keep my secret still.


Fools! For I also had my hour;
   One far fierce hour and sweet:   
There was a shout about my ears,
   And palms before my feet.


Related articles

No comments: