Palm Sunday Chant Deus, Deus Meus



 Scripture Readings For Palm Sunday Passion Of The Lord are here.

Reflections for Palm Sunday are here.

Plaintive Tract Psalm sung by Gregorian Choir on Palm Sunday

  

The Latin translation from "Corpus Christi Watershed" of the text, which comes from the familiar Psalm 22 (vv 2-9, 18, 19, 22, 24, and 32):

Deus, Deus meus, réspice in me: quare me dereliquísti? 
Longe a salúte mea verba delictórum meórum. 
Deus meus, clamábo per diem, nec exáudies: in nocte, et non ad insipiéntiam mihi. 
Tu autem in sancto hábitas, laus Israël. 
In te speravérunt patres nostri: speravérunt, et liberásti eos.
Ad te clamavérunt, et salvi facti sunt: in te speravérunt, et non sunt confusi.
Ego autem sum vermis, et non homo: oppróbrium hóminum et abjéctio plebis. 
Omnes, qui vidébant me, aspernabántur me: locúti sunt lábiis et movérunt caput. 
Sperávit in Dómino, erípiat eum: salvum fáciat eum, quóniam vult eum.
Ipsi vero consideravérunt et conspexérunt me: divisérunt sibi vestiménta mea, et super vestem meam misérunt sortem.
Líbera me de ore leónis: et a córnibus unicórnium humilitátem meam. 
Qui timétis Dóminum, laudáte eum: univérsum semen Jacob, magnificáte eum. 
Annuntiábitur Dómino generátio ventúra: et annuntiábunt coeli justítiam ejus. 
Pópulo, qui nascétur, quem fecit Dóminus. 


 English Translation 

O God, my God, look upon me; why hast Thou forsaken me? 
2. Far from my salvation are the words of my sins. 
3. O my God, I shall cry by day, and Thou wilt not hear; and by night, and it shall not be reputed as folly in me. 
4. But Thou dwellest in the holy place, the praise of Israel. 
5. In Thee have our fathers hoped; they have hoped, and Thou hast delivered them. 
6. They cried to Thee, and they were saved; they trusted in Thee, and were not confounded.
 7. But I am a worm, and no man: the reproach of men and the outcast of the people. 8. All they that saw Me have laughed Me to scorn; they have spoken with the lips and wagged the head. 
9. He hoped in the Lord, let Him deliver Him; let Him save Him, seeing He delighteth in Him. 
10. But they have looked and stared upon Me; they parted My garments amongst them, and upon My vesture they cast lots. 
11. Deliver me from the lion's mouth, and my lowness from the horns of the unicorns. 12. Ye that fear the Lord, praise Him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify Him. 
13. There shall be declared to the Lord a generation to come; and the heavens shall show forth His justice. 
14. To a people that shall be born, which the Lord hath made.



The Entry into Jerusalem by Giotto
Source

No comments: