Evening Prayer at The End Of Day

Image source
Pope Francis has admitted nodding off while praying at the end of a long fatiguing day, but said he thought God "understands". 

After a busy and tiring morning I've been dozing for a few hours on this beautifully warm sunny June day in Cornwall, so I'm offering these : John Henry Cardinal Newman's prayer for a holy rest at the end of the day and a repost of a lovely evening end of day prayer / song.   Wishing all a restful night ! 


 May He support us all the day long,
 till the shades lengthen and the evening comes,
 and the busy world is hushed, 
 and the fever of life is over, 
 and our work is done. 
 Then in His mercy may He give us a safe lodging,
 and a holy rest and peace at the last.





Jesus King of angels
Heaven's light 
Shine Your face upon this house tonight 
Let no evil come into my dreams 
Light of heaven keep me in Your peace

Remind me how You made dark spirits flee
And spoke Your power to the raging sea
And spoke Your mercy to a sinful man
Remind me Jesus for this is what I am 

 CHORUS: 

The universe is vast beyond the stars
 But You are mindful when a sparrow falls
 And mindful of the anxious thoughts
 that find me
 surround me and bind me 

With all my heart 
I love You Sovereign Lord
Tomorrow let me love You even more
 and rise to speak the goodness of Your name
Until I close my eyes and sleep again 

 CHORUS 

Jesus King of angels heaven's light 
Hold my hand and keep me through this night

No comments: