Friday Fish Richard Rohr Videos

So, what's landed in the net this week ?
Starting Monday, July 1st, dot Magis, the blog of Ignatian Sprituality.com here, are offering their fourth annual 31 Days with St. Ignatius. This month-long celebration of Ignatian spirituality leads up to the feast day of its namesake on July 31. They have a calendar of Ignatian articles, videos, and prayers.

They have guest bloggers and so it's worth checking out each weekday to explore what makes Ignatian spirituality special. We are all asked to join in by adding our own thoughts in the comments to their posts.

         I don't know anything about this guy, but he makes some good points here.
Christopher Huertz on "not making others slaves to our own scripts."


   
   
   
   
   
   
   

Some wise and inspirational words in this article here from the Methodist Church’s first ever woman President, Reverend Dr Heather Morris, the first female leader of one of the main Churches in Ireland, who is also a fan of Pope Francis.

 She finds the actions of the new Pope “really hopeful, so welcome”.
“It is a prophetic action what he is doing”, she says. “He is saying I live in a certain way to signal solidarity with those who are poor and it is absolutely welcome to see the type of Pope he is choosing to be.”

Heather Morris’s PhD is in Practical Theology from the University of Edinburgh.

I particularly liked her comments here : "On how being a woman informs her concept of God the new president says “our understanding of God is a matter not just for women, it is for women and men together, for the whole people of God”.
“So theologically I believe God is male and female and far beyond our understanding of gender just as God is beyond our understanding in every way.”

By now Dr Morris is in full stride: “And how do we translate that? That needs to be conveyed and translated in the way we speak. So I do think about the pronouns I use when I speak about God.  I do think it is important for the people of God to think about the images and the language that we use for God, because if it is true that God is beyond gender and greater than that, it limits our understanding of God if we only speak about God in a particular way.”

Questioned on what she thinks she will see when she finally meets God she takes a breath before exclaiming “Ah! My human mind is going to be limited in that. And I struggle with that and I think that's alright. But when I think of seeing God I think of seeing someone who against all odds loves me. So I see a smile when I think about that meeting and I feel that it will be like coming home.”

While not seeking to disguise well known theological differences with the Catholic Church Dr Morris, was pleased to have been invited to the Clonard Novena last year, by the welcome she received and the positive reaction of fellow Methodists to her being there.
Referring to other Christian denominations including the Roman Catholic Church she uses the word “partnering” again and again to stress the need for all of them working together.
“I'm very fond,” she says “of Wesley’s sermon on the Catholic spirit, ‘if your heart is right with my heart give me your hand’ and I think people of Christian faith can partner together.”

Thanks to my friend Shane Ambrose for bringing this one below to my attention.

In this video, Carole Crumley of the Shalem Institute interviews two of the “elder statesmen” of the contemporary contemplative movement: Tilden Edwards, the founder of Shalem, and Fr. Richard Rohr of the Centre for Action and Contemplation.
Please listen to all of it as it ripens with time.. 

The video was produced as part of the Shalem’s observance of its 40th anniversary, and the topic these three consider is how the understanding of Christian contemplation has changed over the past four decades and what it promises for the future.  

Part Two of this video conversation can be found here.

Part Three ( short five mins ) can be found here.



No comments: