Feast of St Thomas The Apostle 2013

 
Image source

Scripture readings for today's Mass are here
Traditionally, they say Thomas was killed by a spear in Chennai, India..

Good biography on his life from Sacred Space here

My 2013 "Easter" reflections on St Thomas are here

My 2012 reflections on St Thomas are here

My reflection on Doubting Thomas and Believing Without Seeing from here

My previous 2011 reflection on Doubting Thomas is here

Fr. Ron Rolheiser has an interesting article on the dark nights of the soul and doubt.  Click here.

Pope Francis' homily from today's Mass is here
in which he refers to St Francis embracing the leper

See my previous related post "Clothed In Splendour" from  here
from which this beautiful painting below by Howard Schroeder is taken and reproduced with the artist's permission.
 

“We do not know… how can we know the way?”
Courageous master of the awkward question,
You spoke the words the others dared not say
And cut through their evasion and abstraction.
Oh doubting Thomas, father of my faith,
You put your finger on the nub of things
We cannot love some disembodied wraith,
But flesh and blood must be our king of kings.
Your teaching is to touch, embrace, anoint,
Feel after Him and find Him in the flesh.
Because He loved your awkward counter-point
The Word has heard and granted you your wish.
Oh place my hands with yours, help me divine
The wounded God whose wounds are healing mine.

No comments: