Update So We Wait and Pray - Syria Crisis - UK Parliament Votes Against Military Action

 UPDATE Thursday evening -22.45 pm.
British MPs have voted AGAINST possible military action against Syria to deter the use of chemical weapons.
David Cameron said it was clear the British Parliament does not want action and "I will act accordingly". The government motion was defeated 285 to 272, a majority of 13 votes. BBC News here

As the US and its allies consider possible military strikes against sites in Syria, Israelis are scrambling for gas masks and oil prices are soaring.

Click here to read BBC correspondents, based in some of the countries most likely to be affected, sharing their reflections of the mood in the streets.

The United Nations secretary general says he expects to receive a report from the UN inspectors investigating an apparent chemical weapons attack on Syrian civilians by the weekend. Ban Ki-Moon's comments come amid expectations of Western military action against Syrian government forces. US President Barack Obama has said he has not yet decided on a plan for retaliatory action against Syria.
Other nations are also considering their next move - and the UK has been pushing for a UN Security Council resolution to protect civilians.
The BBC's Jeremy Bowen describes a sense of apprehension and anxiety in the Syrian capital Damascus as residents await an international response. 


Those Syrians who've left the country to live in the UK continue to hope for an end to the crisis that threatens their families back home. Many who live here oppose the Assad Government but disagree on the best way to bring the suffering to an end.  
Click here for a video.

Listening to these two songs today, I thought how the first song, O Caritas, is in some ways a modern day version of the Psalm 27 in the second Taize chant.

 


Taize Chant 
Alleluia 
Using some parts/verses from Psalm 27

The LORD is my light and my salvation-- 
whom shall I fear? 
The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- 
of whom shall I be afraid? 

   When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, 
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
 they will stumble and fall. 

   Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; 
though war break out against me, even then will I be confident. 

One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: 
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, 
 to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.  

 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; 
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. 

   Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; 
 at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; 
I will sing and make music to the LORD. 

   Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
 be merciful to me and answer me.  
 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!
Your face, LORD, I will seek. 

   Do not hide your face from me, 
do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. 
Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Saviour.  

Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.  
Teach me your way, O LORD;
 lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. 

 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence. 

   I am still confident of this: 
I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.  

Wait for the LORD;
 be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

No comments: