Whispering Hope - Wonderful Peace


In these frantic days I've been thinking of the courage shown by John the Baptist, Mary and Joseph.

I think too of the people who despite experiencing struggle and much pain and adversity in their lives, still manage to hear whispers of hope, peace and joy.

 Embodied in their lives is a faith that manages to sustain them through difficult days.

I am reminded of the peace that Yeats wrote about in his poem, the type of peace that can often come, "dropping slow" in Advent, and that is heard "in the heart's deep core" if we can take some time to listen.

Click here for my 2010 post : "Sacred Destination -Thoughts On The Advent Journey"

I'll share this beautiful Jessica Powers poem too, posted today by my friend, John Predmore here.

In Mary - Darkness

I live my Advent in the womb of Mary
And on one night when a great star swings free
From its high mooring and walks down the sky
To be the dot above the Christus i,
I shall be born of her by blessed grace.
I wait in Mary-darkness, faith’s walled place,
With hope’s expectance of nativity.
I knew for long she carried me and fed me,
Guarded and loved me, though I could not see,
But only now, with inward jubilee,
I come upon earth’s most amazing knowledge:
Someone is hidden in this dark with me.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgc2OFliq3i0UyludwbP6RsAv4JducEqZUJIfJVfK7uGTa5GdX5tOT7-3oVcGnv7VBqsX4E6jWMZ1D1vUkfF6MtUSYpzLGa38YhElJfdsKHNdUYhGm0yBzNiJfPctwMLu60DzrJNTOOOv0/s1600/courage1.jpg

These two hymns arranged by Joel Raney express some of the beauty of Advent
 gifts of expectant hope and peace that we pray will pour down into our world.
 

Lyrics to Whispering Hope below from here
  1. Soft as the voice of an angel,
    Breathing a lesson unheard,
    Hope with a gentle persuasion
    Whispers her comforting word:
    Wait till the darkness is over,
    Wait till the tempest is done,
    Hope for the sunshine tomorrow,
    After the shower is gone.
    • Refrain:
      Whispering hope, oh, how welcome thy voice,
      Making my heart in its sorrow rejoice.
  2. If, in the dusk of the twilight,
    Dim be the region afar,
    Will not the deepening darkness
    Brighten the glimmering star?
    Then when the night is upon us,
    Why should the heart sink away?
    When the dark midnight is over,
    Watch for the breaking of day.
  3. Hope, as an anchor so steadfast,
    Rends the dark veil for the soul,
    Whither the Master has entered,
    Robbing the grave of its goal;
    Come then, oh, come, glad fruition,
    Come to my sad weary heart;
    Come, O Thou blest hope of glory,
    Never, oh, never depart.

No comments: