Third Sunday of Easter Gospel and Commentary

Oops. I have just posted on the parable of the feeding of the five thousand which is not the correct gospel for this Sunday.
If you have already read it I apologise. Oh well, at least it had fish in it which do feature this Sunday.
The correct liturgy readings are here with commentaries. ( Thanks to Fr. Austin at Concord Pastor for this link to liturgy site.).
(All paintings below are by James Tissot)
The gospel  is yet another of my all time favourites and at the same time it challenges me profoundly.

It tells the story of Jesus preparing breakfast on the shore for the disciples who have gone  fishing.
It is the third time Jesus has appeared to the disciples after his Resurrection.

Peter leaps out of the boat

and the disciples haul in a huge catch of fish

and they eat a meal

After they had eaten Jesus speaks to Simon Peter in a dialogue that always gets right into my marrow.
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter,
“Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?”
                                                  



Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.”
He then said to Simon Peter a second time,
“Simon, son of John, do you love me?”
Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.”

Jesus said to him the third time,
“Simon, son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was distressed that Jesus had said to him a third time,
“Do you love me?” and he said to him,
“Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.



Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger,
you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted;
but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands,
and someone else will dress you
and lead you where you do not want to go.”
He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God.
And when he had said this, he said to him, “Follow me.”


 Commentary
This site by Will Humes  has a concise but profound set of reflections on this passage that outlines three simple tasks for all of us who want to follow Christ and another here by the same author that reminds us of the danger of those who tell their followers that by becoming a Christian nothing but blue skies and rose gardens are in their futures.

No comments: