Present To The Task At Hand & Is It You Again ?

(Two little gems from my inbox today :)

A legend about St. Francis tells that he was hoeing his garden one afternoon when someone asked him to speculate on what he would do if he knew he was going to die that day. 
"I would hoe my garden," he replied. When I am faced with my death I would like to be so present to the task at hand that I would want to keep on with whatever happened to be my particular hoeing. 
To love is to be content with the present moment, open to its meaning, entering into its mystery.
Source: Cry Pain, Cry Hope From Inward/Outward 
Image from here 


We think of monks as being remote from the world, but Saint Benedict, writing in the sixth century, notes that a monastery is never without guests, and admonishes monks to "receive all guests as Christ."
Monks have been quick to recognize that such hospitality, while undoubtedly a blessing, can also create burdens for them.
A story said to originate in a Russian Orthodox monastery has an older monk telling a younger one: "I have finally learned to accept people as they are. Whatever they are in the world, a prostitute, a prime minister, it is all the same to me. 
But sometimes I see a stranger coming up the road and I say, 'Oh, Jesus Christ, is it you again?'"
Source: Dakota
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, beautiful post. I love the story about St. Francis, it makes me think that he is content with who he is and content with the everyday. I have a friend who is a monk and you are right, hospitality is huge with them. They treat others and their brothers with such kindness. It's very inspirational. Thank you.
Andie

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Hi there,
So glad you liked these. I find the daily feeds from Inward /Outward often spot on. As for the monks, I agree with all you say. When I was younger we used to travel through Ireland in the holidays and I always remember calling at a monastery that my father knew and we had tea and cakes. The monks were delighted to have us visit and steadfastly refused any offers of money.
By the way, what name can I call you apart from deodate ?!

Anonymous said...

My name is Andie, deodate.wordpress.com is my blog. I look forward to exploring more posts on your blog. Thanks!

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Thanks Andie. I have bookmarked your blog and look forward to paying you a visit.
Blessings
PS have you signed up as a follower ?