Monday Third Week of Advent Mass Readings and Reflections

Mass readings for today are here

The Psalm for today is Psalm 23


R.  Teach me your ways, O Lord.
Your ways, O LORD, make known to me;
teach me your paths,
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my saviour.
R. Teach me your ways, O Lord.
Remember that your compassion, O LORD,
and your kindness are from of old.
In your kindness remember me,
because of your goodness, O LORD.
R. Teach me your ways, O Lord.
Good and upright is the LORD;
thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
he teaches the humble his way.
R. Teach me your ways, O Lord.

Image above from Monastic Ponderings 


No matter how long I seek, I still have more to find. 

Jean Vanier says that we forget that God comes to us in the deepest part of our beings, at the source of our life, the innermost heart


I have been thinking these last few days of Mary in the final days of her pregnancy-
so close to the heartbeat of Jesus .

How did that feel ? - A divine son of God kicking and moving inside her womb ready to be born as a human baby.

It is so immense a thought that I find it really hard to imagine the awesome fact of that experience.

There are  many parts to Advent that are a complete mystery to me but when I read this today some part of it was true for me....

"Advent unfailingly embraces and comprehends my reality. 

And what is that?  

I think of the Spanish word, anhelo, or longing. 

Advent is when the church can no longer contain its unbearable, unfulfilled desire and the cry of anhelo bursts forth: 

Maranatha!  Come Lord Jesus!  O Come, O Come Emmanuel!"

H/T to Tales of a Sojourner blog for link to this extract from the book.



No comments: