Gaudi and La Sagrada Familia

One of the highlights of my holiday was visiting the wonderful Catalan city of Barcelona and Antoni Gaudi's magnificent  La Sagrada Familia (The Holy Family), a basilica that has been a work in progress for over 100 years. 


When Gaudi started it he knew he would never see it finished in his lifetime. 


The expected date of completion is somewhere between 2020 and 2040. 

I wondered if it would live up to the hype I had read about it and for me it really was a  spectacular sight even with hordes of people around.  

We were visiting just after a fire had taken place inside by an arsonist a couple of months before and there was plenty of construction work and scaffolding to obscure parts of the view, one day was not enough to appreciate it all. 

The queues were so long  that we didn't go inside but there was plenty to occupy all the senses for many hours just by walking around on the outside.


Barcelona is a city that embraces the imagination of spirit and soul and we will hopefully go back and spend longer there to explore more of Gaudi's work in the city.

There are seven properties built by him  in or near Barcelona that have been classified as UNESCO sites.

I took loads of photos of the basilica so these are just a few and the videos speak for themselves ........ Click on each photo to enlarge.


































































Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Jan said...

How wonderful! I wish I'd been able to visit Barcelona. I'm glad you did!